How do the classes work?
Click on the below video to see an illustrative report which was broadcast on TV5 (one of the French national television channels) which shows how the classes work. 45 seconds in I appear teaching via Skype with one of my more advanced students. Have a look at the video and see how this online learning works (even if you don’t speak French it’s ok as an image is worth a thousand words… 😉 )
The aim of the lessons are to make each student feel more confident using Spanish, therefore the lessons are tailored to each student’s specific learning style and needs.
To achieve fluency, I help each student to increase their vocabulary, improve their listening comprehension, and to refine their pronunciation. We will work on a multitude of skills using conversation and exercises. Spanish is used primarily (although I am fluent in both French and English), to help students understand, listen, and engage with the different activities presented in the lesson.
Skype text chat may be used if necessary during the lesson to allow for the exchange of new words and grammar structures. Homework will be given after every session to reinforce and practice the topics covered in the lesson.
Why not start with the “trial lesson” and decide if you would like to continue?
What is the methodology used?
I offer comprehensive Spanish language courses aimed at developing the students’ ability to understand, speak, read and write in Spanish.
I use the communicative method (focuses on a language as a medium of communication; recognizing that all communication has a social purpose – that the learner has something to say or find out) and task-based language learning (which focuses on the use of authentic language and on asking students to do meaningful tasks using the target language. Such tasks can include visiting a doctor, conducting an interview, or calling customer service for help).
All my lessons are a combination of the four abilities no matter which course level you select utilising reading, writing, listening and speaking from the beginning.
How do I begin?
1. Contact me with the contact form and explain to me your level and objectives/goals.
2. Schedule your trial class:
It’s that easy!
Remember: a trial class request above won´t be accepted if I haven’t received any previous message indicating your level and objectives or goals. It is mandatory to explain your motivation to start the course!
How do I pay for the lessons?
Can I prepare for the DELE exam with you?
Of course, I am a ‘Spanish as a Foreign Language’ teacher certified by Instituto Cervantes, which is the institution that administers the exams. I have ample experience preparing students for this exam as well as creating material to support these classes.
Oh, and the success rate is 100% so far! More.
Why is it beneficial to take Spanish lessons via Skype?
- Flexibility: You have a private teacher available 7 days of the week and from 8am to 22pm, so you have a great flexibility to schedule your lessons, either before or after work / school or during the day)
- Efficiency and cost (no additional travel time or costs)
- Choice and comfort (choose your teacher and have classes from your own living room, workspace, or local cafe)
- Privacy and 1-to-1 tutilege….
- To learn, improve, or refresh your Spanish (or simply maintain what you have already learned).
- To get ready for an exam by answering last-minute questions, support from school or college (Spanish College Support)
- To prepare DELE Examinations. (DELE Preparation Course)
- To prepare yourself for interviews, oral presentations, and/or international meetings. (Business Spanish)
Can I cancel a lesson?
Sure, but the cancelation must not be less than 24 hours! Any lessons cancelled 24 hours in advance can be rescheduled (usually within the same month). If there are technical problems, the lesson or lost time will be made up for.
What happens if I’m late or don’t show up for class?
The lesson will be considered void if the student does not appear by 15 minutes after the scheduled start time. That specific class is subsequently not reschedulable.
Do course packages expire?
Yes, but there is plenty of time to use your hours and in order to ensure a positive outcome and a good learning experience it is important to be consistent and practice in continuous blocks.
Expiry times (after the commencement of the first class):
- 5 hour package expires after 7 weeks
- 10 hour package expires after 12 weeks
- 20 hour package expires after 22 weeks
As you can see, a minimum of on average one hour per week is advised. However I do understand we all have private lives and unexpected situations sometimes occur, so in these cases an extension of the expiration date can be discussed on a case by case basis.
Is there a maximum number of classes per week?
There is a maximum of 4 hours per week unless you have pre-booked an intensive course. There is no minimum number of hours per week but I advise to have at least one class per week as per the expiry dates.
What is Skype?
Skype is the most popular voice and video communication service in the world and is one of the pioneers in voice communication over the Internet. You can make unlimited free videocalls to anyone in the world provided that person is using Skype too.
How do I use Skype?
Getting ready for your Skype Spanish lesson with me is easy peasy. Just download the free software from Skype.com, create a free Skype account and you will be ready to go in minutes! If your computer does not already have a built-in microphone (and/or camera), you may need to purchase a microphone (and/or camera + headset).
You can even use Skype from your smartphone or tablet!
What happens if there are problems with the sound?
If any problems occur with the sound due to a intermittent Internet connection, weak WiFi signal, faulty computer equipment, or Skype program issues, the interrupted lesson can be rescheduled (generally a determination is made within the first 15 minutes whether to continue or re-schedule if necessary).
When it is an isolated problem the lesson or time lost will be made up without any additional cost thus you will never miss out on a lesson due to technical problems!
Some recommendations to optimize audio and video quality:
- Make sure Skype is kept updated. Find the latest version of Skype here.
- Wear headphones/headset. If you hear echoes in the audio it can be because the other party’s speakers are too loud and generating feedback. Wear headphones and the echoes should subside instantly!
- Adjust the light. Ample front lighting can mean the difference between talking to a real person and talking to a grainy ghostly silhouette.
- Minimize ambient noise. Try to create a quiet, classroom-like environment while you are having a lesson.
- Close other programs during the lesson. Overloading your Internet capacity with open programs could worsen audio and video quality.
- Use Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi. Ethernet will give you a much smoother, more consistent experience.
- Ensure other users of the same Internet connection are not uploading or downloading movies, music, or large files in the background.
- Disable backup software temporarily while on the call.
There are no refunds once the first lesson of a pack has been scheduled.
You can request an extension of the expiry date of your pack or request a transfer of your hours to another person (that person will be asked to attend a 30 minutes chat and the transfer can be refused).
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate in contacting me via the contact form.